Used industrial generators often find new life as standby generators. This is no surprise since diesel generators are some of the longest-lasting engines on the market. But just because they’ve lasted this long doesn’t mean they are automatically safe. There are several safety precautions you’ll need to take to keep your generator operating properly for years to come.
5 Basic Safety Tips For Used Industrial Generators
- Start with an electrician. Before you even buy a used industrial generator, you should have an electrician determine your power needs to make sure you’re getting the right-sized generator.
- Don’t forget the basics. Just because this is a big piece of machinery doesn’t mean it requires complex safety practices. Avoid loose clothing and jewelry. Make sure everything is turned off before you start working on it. No smoking around the generator. Tie long hair back or wear a cap. Wear gloves and safety goggles. Keep a first aid kit handy and always work with a partner.
- Make time for inspections. You inspected the generator before you bought it, now keep it up. Inspect it again before it is installed and then set a regular inspection schedule to check for loose and missing parts, dents, dings, and other damage and to check fluids and change filters.
- Site it properly. Used industrial generators should to be placed outdoors. Ideally, they will be set inside a protective enclosure and on a concrete pad. Outside placement eliminates the risk of dangerous fumes being inhaled while the enclosure and pads help reduce the effects generator noise can have on our hearing.
- Follow the manual. Used industrial generators should come with a manufacturers manual. Use this manual to determine the recommended maintenance, repair, and installation requirements. Not only will this keep the generator in peak operating condition, it will help protect you with warranty (if applicable) and insurance protection if something goes wrong.
Shop Used Industrial Generators At Critical Power
Search for your next used industrial generator at Critical Power. We carry all brands, makes, and models to meet your power demands!
Visit www.criticalpower.com to see what’s in stock right now. Don’t see what you’re looking for?