If you’re in the market for a generator you’re probably wondering if it should be new or used. On the one hand used generators can save you a lot of money and time but new generators come full priced and lead time. If price and time are not a concern, you’ll need to base your decision on other factors.
- Warranty. Standard manufacturer warranties range form 1-2 years and are included with every new generator.
- New components. Every piece is new. There hasn’t been a previous owner. This provides peace of mind to some buyers.
- Costly. You may pay as much as 50% more for new vs. used generators.
- Wait time. You may have to wait for the generator to be built, especially for larger models.
Bottom line: New generators are a great choice for buyers who need or want a warranty, can wait for the generator to become available and can afford to pay full price.
- Low Cost. Rebuilt, remanufactured, or even just really well-maintained used generators are extremely affordable when compared to the cost of buying a new generator.
- Available when you need it. Used generators are available when you need them. There’s no waiting for the piece to be built. CPE project managers work with the client to find the right generator for their project right away.
- No warranty. You won’t get a warranty with used generators, except in certain cases where the machine has been completely remanufactured.
- Previously used. This is the biggest disadvantage to buying used generators. You are taking a chance that the previous owner is being truthful about the generator’s usage and maintenance history.
Bottom line: Used generators can be just as reliable as new generators without new product prices and without the wait time.
Buying Used Generators
If you want to buy used generators, it’s best to work with a reputable reseller or distributor. Companies like Critical Power Exchange use qualified technicians to test and repair used generators before they are made available for sale, that way you know you are getting a product that has been tested and is in good working order.