Buying a used generator is a great way to save money and still get a high-quality product with the capacity to handle your power demands. Even so, it’s smart to take the time to do a little research before committing to a purchase. The extra work will more than pay off when you find great used generators for sale at can’t be beat prices.
6 Tips for Choosing Among Used Generators for Sale
Check these six things before committing to buy a used generator. This checklist will ensure you’re getting a quality product that is worth the price you’re paying for it.
- Type of Generator. There are many different kinds of used generators: diesel, propane and natural gas for example. Make sure you’re looking at the type of generator you need (or want). A great deal won’t mean much if you end up buying the wrong type of generator.
- Age and Usage. Check the hour meter to find out how much runtime the generator has accrued. Ask about its age and history – how and where it was used and what type of maintenance it has had, was it used continuously or was it strictly stand-by? A standby rated generator often has fewer hours on it and has had better maintenance than a continuously run Prime rated generator, however Prime rated generators are built much stronger and have a higher initial cost.
- Manufacturer and Model Number. Who is the manufacturer? Knowing the name and model number lets you do some independent research into the company and the reliability of the specific model. Look for models that have a long history; they are likely high quality. Big name manufacturers include: Generac, Kohler, and Cummins.
- Maintenance. More important than the age of used generators is their maintenance history. Ask to see maintenance records to see what type of maintenance it has had, how frequently, and if certified technicians performed the maintenance or not.
- Consider the Seller. In almost every situation it is best to buy used generators from a respected reseller or dealer than a private seller. Resellers and dealers will have inspected the unit before they purchased it and can tell you more about its history and maintenance.
- Warranties/Guarantees. You can find used generators that come with warranties or guarantees, particularly if they have been remanufactured. In any case, ask about any warranties and guarantees that may be available.
Find Used Generators for Sale at Critical Power Exchange, LLC.
Critical Power Exchange has surplus and used generators for sale from some of the top manufacturers. Contact us at 1-877-315-4176 or visit us at www.criticalpower.com to learn more.